Thursday, February 27, 2014

Check up with Specialist

Every time I go to Miami Children's to see Dr. Grossman  I always feel over emotional. It's so hard hearing what he has to say. Most the time I usually know what he's going to say beforehand and today I knew part of it. Camryn needs more botox. She has tightness under her arm in her muscles there and her peck muscle. This is preventing her from getting over head. Dr. Grossman said she may need three more botox procedures in order to correct the muscles from working the wrong way. She'll probably have it done in the next three weeks. After leaving today I really felt defeated. He said she's regressing a bit because she has grown so much over the past couple of months. It's so hard as a parent who has put so much into Cam's recovery to hear that. I felt completely beaten. For the first time ever he said in black and white that she will never have 100% function in her arm and that this is a lifelong injury and she'll need lifelong therapies and procedures. I guess I have always known that but today it really hit home to hear her doctor say it. It felt so real. Who wants to think their child will never be 100%? Especially, after all the sacrifices my husband and I have made for her and all the hard work we have done. I know, she wouldn't be where she is today if we hadn't but it still hurts.

Some great things that happened today were that they are finally starting a support group for Erb's Palsy at Miami Children's Hospital. Two things, I wish the hospital were closer and I wish this had happened 2 years ago. I'm so thankful that other parents will finally have the support they need. This will be the first type of group in South Florida so it's very exciting. I will try and be a part of it but it's hard with work and it being so far away.

Another thing that is in the works and beginning stages of planning is the start of an annual picnic for South Florida families that see Dr. Grossman. I think it will be so nice to see other families in our area and be able to network and have a good time with them. I can't wait to see how all the children interact with each other too! Maybe Cam will make a lifelong friend :)

That's it for now as I'm completely wiped from chasing a toddler around all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment