Monday, July 1, 2013

Bumps and Bruises

I know it's normal for toddlers to have bumps and bruises, but I feel like Camryn has too many. She really is having a hard time keeping her balance and lunges into things. She's just starting to learn to walk on her own a bit and she sometimes lunges forward not realizing that she can't catch herself and she misjudges the distance between a parent or couch and falls into a piece of furniture or toy. I'm not really sure how to handle this as I know it is somewhat normal it's just the fact that Camryn can't brace herself and now has 3 bruises on her head. No matter how many times I try to catch her I can't always be there. This is one of my biggest fears for daycare. Any advice?  Anything that you've done to teach your children differently?


4 comments:

  1. Kids at this age get a lot of bumps and bruises to begin with then throw in the balance issues our kids can have and it can get nerve wracking...kids are tough though...it will be ok. She will figure things out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put a light helmet on? Just until she gets the hang of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son pretty much had a perpetual lump/ bruise on his head for a year. On one of our visits to dr. Kozin he actually had a black eye! We had to do lots of exercises to get him catching himself better because his erbs arm was so delayed in responding if he was falling. Our ot had us pushing him over (nicely) randimly throughout the day to help it improve. -Brittany L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son could not catch himself either and seemed to have perpetual lumps/bruises on his head from all of his falls for over a year. His ot had us do lots of exercises to work on thisthis los of randomly pushing him over (safely) throughout the day to help him improve. -Brittany L.

    ReplyDelete