Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Getting Over it



As a new mom how do you not compare your child to all the other children you see. The hardest thing for me especially when trying to make new mom friends is comparing Camryn and what she is doing to the other children. Especially, knowing Camryn is delayed when it comes to certain things. It’s been hard for me to make new mom friends but even harder getting over the fact that Camryn is a little delayed. She doesn’t crawl the right way, she tripod crawls, she didn’t sit up on her own until the very last minute and she’s still not walking. She never really claps her hands either. When I see all the other babies doing what they are supposed to be doing at all the mommy and me classes and Camryn isn’t I just feel embarrassed inside. Even though, I know that no one even cares or notices, it’s something that I notice and I take it to heart.  How do I get over that? My husband and I were talking this weekend and he basically said it’s something I need to get over because what happens if it gets worse when she starts school and she doesn’t do things when she is supposed to do or is delayed because of the Erb’s. I get it and I see where he's coming from, but how do I do that? How do I move past this feeling and let Camryn just be who she is going to be?

1 comment:

  1. My daughter, DL, did not crawl either (no big deal many kids dont crawl), she did walk early but her feet are not straight cause she walked too early so we will probably have to correct that eventually one problem at a time though. She claps her hands with one hand and the left arm stays stationary. I put her in daycare and as a test I did not tell anyone, and no one noticed at all. After a week they got a new teacher in there who knows who I am and she went and told everyone and they were so surprised no one even noticed. I think you may find that kids at a young age will not notice and as she grows if she stays in the same program with the same kids they will just get used to her and it will not be a problem. I am certaintly at this point not worrying and I am trying to be super positive and think of the things she is good at like speaking and fine motor skills (which my 5 yr old still cant do half of). Otherwise be positive, and enjoy the things that she does well, and the things that she doesnt no biggie. There are millions of other kids out there with far worse problems than we got. As I am reminded about every time I walk into the Shriners Hospital!

    ReplyDelete