Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thoughts on Mother's Day



   
When Camryn was born she was hurt and now has Erb’s Palsy, which is a disability that affects the brachial plexus nerves in her neck and left arm. She’s been going to occupational and physical therapy since she was only 2 weeks old. We go twice a week for an hour. She had major surgery to try and repair the nerves when she was only 8 months old. After the surgery she had to endure two weeks of being in a body cast and neck brace and living in a little red wagon.



     I’m not writing this for sympathy, I’m writing this to all the moms out there who say why me? Why does my baby cry all the time? Why doesn’t my baby walk yet, why does my baby have torticollis or have to wear a helmet. I’m writing this for all the parents who think that it’s only them.



You are not alone. Every baby has something. Whether it be fussiness, being high maintenance, developmentally delayed, speech delays, sensory issues. It’s all the things us mothers are afraid to talk about with each other and we shouldn’t be!



    I wish as a new mother that I had thought this almost a year ago when Camryn was born. Instead , I isolated myself and was ashamed of my daughters disability. But here I am now, saying I’M NOT ALONE and YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  Over the past year I’ve had a lot of learning to do about myself, my marriage, and raising a child. Especially, being thrown into raising a child with a disability, I thank god that her brain is ok and she is a happy go lucky baby who loves everyone.  But the difficulties that have come with being a new mother and having to deal with all of this was overwhelming. I wish more women or new mothers felt comfortable enough to talk about the difficulties they are having or have had.



I can remember when we first came home from the hospital I kept searching for support groups or anyone else to talk to about what I was going through but there was nothing in my area. All that was offered was breastfeeding support. I hope that after reading this people are able to talk to one another about what they are really feeling and not be ashamed or feel like they are alone. Just remember, no one is perfect and you are not alone.








3 comments:

  1. Hello Carly! Your daughter is beautiful and you are not alone, we are not alone. My son also suffers from a ROBPI injuring 4 out of the 5 nerves to his spinal cord. He's only 16 months and we go to OT once a week. He also had an 8 hour nerve grafting surgery at 4 months, talk about scary! I wish there were more groups and moms like us that can come together for support. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you commented. I'm trying to create an outlet for Mom's so they have somewhere to go and talk about what is going on. Who did your son's surgery? I'd be glad to share or email back and forth with you about things that are going on with my daughter. Where are you located?

      Delete
  2. I'm located in Richmond, Virginia but we travel to Philadelphia to go to the Shriner's Hospital to see Jacob's specialist. His surgery was done by Dr. Kozin and I believe he is wonderful. We've already seen so much progress but he's got a very long way to go. Feel free to email me at johnsonch518 @ gmail . com anytime.

    ReplyDelete