Monday, May 13, 2013

I hate when people say to me “It’s just her arm”


Well, I’m here to tell people IT’S NOT JUST HER ARM!!! Camryn’s Erb’s Palsy has affected her whole body. She’s asymmetrical with strength, which in turn affected her sitting up, crawling, and now walking. She walks with her feet turned towards her left side and her right foot always leading. We are working on fixing it, but people don’t get it. Yeah, it’s getting better but it has totally changed her development and she has had to learn to do things that babies normally do in different ways. She can’t hold her own bottle, she’s not ready for forks and knives, she can’t feed herself properly with her left hand and now she’s having trouble walking too. ALL BECAUSE OF HER ARM! It’s not her arm first off it’s her brachial plexus nerves that are connected to the spine. Yes, those nerves affected her arm but it’s considered a spinal injury.

I've been working on Pinterest Board for Erb's Palsy: Check it out and follow. I'll also be adding stuff that really helped us during Cam's first year. What my husband and I call lifesavers!


http://pinterest.com/carlybwalker/erbs-palsy/

http://pinterest.com/carlybwalker/lifesavers-for-babys-first-year/

 


3 comments:

  1. Carly - You did what I have always been thinking of doing... Writing about your wonderful baby! I have a daughter (Eve) that has Erbs Palsy. She is almost 2 and I know excatly what you are going through. It is not just her arm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are writing!! I am really trying to connect people who are going through the same thing! I have been thinking about this for a while and I finally decided to bite the bullet and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is 8 weeks old with a bpi, I already can see what you mean although I have gotten more of the, "well, it could be worse..." response! Yes, thank you, I know it could be worse, but this is pretty much the worst thing going on with me right now so keep your comments to yourself!!

    ReplyDelete